SEMSWA issues Grading, Erosion, and Sediment Control (GESC) permits within unincorporated Arapahoe County for all disturbances outlined in the GESC Manual. These permits are typically issued in association with new development, redevelopment, or utility projects. For SEMSWA GESC Plan and Permit requirement matrix, please click here. If you think you need a permit, please call SEMSWA at 303-858-8844 and ask to speak with one of the GESC engineers, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Click here if you'd like to know more about water quality requirements.
Notice of Revised Permit Structure for Directional Boring Utility Installation
Effective July 1, 2012
The Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority is pleased to announce a revised permit structure for Directional Boring associated with Utility Installation. In an effort to streamline the permitting process, an Annual Permit for Direction Boring will be effective for qualifying projects as of July 1, 2012. Project Owners can apply for an Annual Permit and obtain authorization to conduct the activity without an individual permit.
Dry utility projects in the SEMSWA service area that utilize the directional boring installation method with minor trenching connections (less than 18-inches wide) will be permitted utilizing the SEMSWA Annual Permit.
How do I obtain an Annual Permit?
Project Owners apply for the permit on a calendar year basis. This year, the application will start on July 1, 2012. Click here for the Permit Form. Projects Owners will note contractors that are allowed to work under their Annual Permit on the permit form.
What plans do I need to submit?
Since dry utility directional boring projects are routine and standardized, SEMSWA will utilize Typical Detail plans with standard notes. Contractors working under the Annual Permit are required to utilize these documents, but are not required to prepare any other plans for submittal to SEMSWA.
How much does the permit cost?
The Annual Permit fee is $2500 a year for more than one project and $500 a year for single projects.
How can I find out more information about the Annual Permit?
SEMSWA has prepared an Annual Permit Guidance Document, GESC Considerations for Dry Utility Annual Permits, a Standard Operating Procedure for Directional Boring Utility Installation, and a Typical Detail with standard notes, available under the New Documents section of this page.
Standard GESC Permit Instructions
Refer to GESC Manual Section Reference for Additional Information
1. Apply for GESC permit
- Pickup approved GESC plans from SEMSWA
- Complete GESC Permit application and submit to Southeast Metro Stormwater Authority (SEMSWA) with Fees (2.14)
- Provide GESC permit fee due with GESC Permit Application
- Provide Collateral with the GESC Permit Application (2.16)
2. Prior to GESC Permit Approval
- Designate a GESC Manager and Alternate GESC Manager
- NOTE: A GESC MANAGER MUST BE DESIGNATED PRIOR TO THE PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING. THE GESC MANAGER DESIGNATION FORM SHALL BE SUBMITTED TO SEMSWA AT THE PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING.
- Install Initial BMPs in accordance with approved GESC Plans (5.3.1)
- Schedule GESC Pre-Construction Meeting (5.3.3) with SEMSWA at 303.858.8844
3. Throughout Duration of GESC Permit
- Provide regular GESC inspections in accordance with the GESC Manual
- Ensure proper installation and maintenance of BMPs as required within the GESC Manual (5.7, 5.8)
4. GESC Permit Close-Out
- Initial Close-Out can be requested when all improvements are completed, and the site/area is stabilized. A Close Out Form should be submitted to request Initial Close Out.
- Schedule Initial Close-Out Acceptance Inspection (7.1.5)
5. Interim Between Initial Close-Out and Final Close-Out
- Provide GESC Inspections in accordance with the GESC Manual (7.3)
6. Final Close-Out
- Once the entire project has reached the required vegetative coverage, in accordance with Section 7.3, the Permittee shall call SEMSWA to schedule a Final Close Out Inspection.
- Once Final Close-Out Acceptance has been granted, SEMSWA will approve the Final Close-Out Acceptance form and collateral for the project will be released (7.5)